Come and try one of this wonderful selection now available in Celtic and Delaney’s
Isle of Jura Scotch Whisky Distillery History The distillery is near to a cave where illegal distilling is known to have been carried out since the 1600s and was established in 1810 by the Laird Archibald Campbell.
The whisky distilled at that time was a characteristic peaty Islay style malt whisky – not at all like the present day product. The distillery was let out to many people over the years. Eventually it was leased to a James Ferguson in 1875 and renovated in 1884 records show that it was distilling 65,000 gallons per year.
In the early 1900’s the Ferguson’s seem to have been in disagreement with the then Laird Colin Campbell and decided to relinquish the Jura distillery, they dismantled and sold the machinery, which they had installed. Later the roofs were removed to avoid paying rates and the distillery fell into ruin. It seemed that whisky distilling on Jura had come to a permanent end.
In the 1950’s Robin Fletcher owner of Ardlussa Estate and Riley-Smith owner of Jura House and Ardfin Estate had meetings to see how they could solve an anticipated jobs and population crisis on the island. The reopening the distillery to see if new people could be attracted to the island was considered. They were joined by farmer, distiller and architect Delme’ Evans. Together they eventually raised financial support to rebuild the distillery.