Go to www.maxfund.org to register your chili and for more information.
Good Evening Former Cook Off Chili Chefs!
It is that time of the year again and the annual MaxFund Animal Shelter is hosting the annual Chili Cook Off fundraiser! This year it will be held on Sunday February 23rd at the Celtic Tavern in Downtown Denver. We really hope you will consider entering your chili into the cook off again for our 20th annual cook off all to support MaxFund! Below are all the details about the cook off and an electronic version of the flyer for the event is attached to this email. After looking over all the list of details please feel free to contact me with any questions. We are anticipating a GREAT turn out this year and would love to have all our chili chefs back again this year to compete. Thank you for participating last year in this wonderful fundraiser and we really hope you will join us again for this year’s cook off on February 23rd to support the amazing animals at MaxFund!!
– The cook off will be held at the Celtic Tavern in Downtown Denver on February 23rd 2013 from 1pm to 4pm (1801 Blake St, Denver, CO 80202)
Bar side of the Celtic Tavern, this year the event will all be held in the Celtic Tavern
– This year there will be 3 main judges (to be announced soon!!) that will judge all the chilis and decide on the winner in each category
– Categories this year are: RED, GREEN, VEGETARIAN, WHITE AND CELEBRITY CHEF (local restaurant chefs, local celebrities etc)
– Each chef can enter more than one chili, each chili entry is $30.00
– There will be “tasters” again this year (people that attend the fundraisers to taste each chili) and will be tasting each chili entered and voting for their
favorite chili in EACH category and their favorite overall as a “peoples choice” prize winner
– This year we will have a door prize drawing at the fundraising event as well – tickets will be for sale at the cook off but do not need to be present
– In addition to a door prize raffle we will be running a 50/50 raffle drawing for the first time!! (chefs may enter both raffles!)
– The chili tasting will be from 1pm to 4pm with winners announced and prizes given by 5pm (could be earlier than 5pm depending on how long it takes to count
– 100% of the proceeds from the chili cook off fundraiser event will go to MaxFund Animal Shelter!!
– The mobile adoption van will be at the event and weather permitting the animals will be by out front of the Celtic Tavern in the patio area for everyone to
meet from 2pm to 4pm!
**official rules will be emailed out to all chilis participating two weeks before the cook off
**chilis are allowed to have “toppings” (i.e. cheese, onions, bacon, etc)
**Tasting cups and spoons for all “tasters” that attend the fundraiser and vote on their “peoples choice” favorite will be provided by the Celtic Tavern
**Each chef needs to bring their own crockpot, ladle, and power cord
**Chilis must be entered by February 21st, 2013 (online registration)there is room for a max of 30 chili entries this year
**You will want to prepare for 150 – 200 tasters so it would be prudent to make at least 3 1/2 to 5 quarts of your chili to serve to tasters (judges)
**Chilis will be judged on:
Color — Examples:Does the chili look appetizing? Does it look bright and colorful ? Presentation
Aroma — Examples:Does it smell good/powerful? Does the aroma make you want to dig in?
Consistency — Examples: It shouldn’t be runny, mushy or overly thick – are spices blended well
Taste — Examples:How is the flavor? Do the ingredients blend well, or is one too overpowering? Does the first bite make you want another one?
Aftertaste — Examples:Once you swallow, is there a flavorful taste ( or tangy”bite”) that stays on your tongue? Is it pleasant?
**Prizes in each category this year will be announced soon but they are bigger and better than last year!! Details on prizes to be posted soon!
Space is limited, please enter your chili today at http://www.maxfund.org/events/chili-cookoff-february-23/ – click on the Chili Cook Off link register your chili on the blacktie secure site
WE LOOK FORWARD TO AN EVEN BIGGER AND BETTER EVENT THIS YEAR AND HOPE YOU WILL JOIN US AND SUPPORT THE ANIMALS OF MAXFUND!!
MaxFund Animal Adoption Center
MaxFund Events Director